Monday, March 21, 2011

Two years and counting

This story is about what I and others did wrong. on the night, my life changed forever.
It has been twelve years since I had a stroke. As I sit here and reflect back, I will never forget the night of the stroke. I clearly remember being in the hospital emergency room and waiting for hours. Every time, the triage nurse would come into the waiting room and call out a name. For hours I watched as people with colds, sore throats, and various other minor ailments were called in to be seen by the doctors. My blood pressure was over 200, but I sat for  4 hours silently waiting for a doctor to examine me. My second mistake. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
In my gut, I knew that something was very wrong. My vision was messed up. Part of my vision was missing. The pain in my head felt like my skull was going to crack.  Looking back, I now know that I should have trusted my gut. I wish I had kept communicating with the staff and been more insistent about being seen. That day my life changed forever. As a result, I am now permanently blind in areas of my field of vision. I had no awareness of my left side, and my left side switched from being hyper-sensitive to almost no feeling. My left side is partially paralyzed.  My left leg has drop foot and over-pronation. In other words, I am screwed up!
This story is about what I and others did wrong. on the night, my life changed forever.
I had called my doctor, who told me to go straight to the ER.  I went right away. But unfortunately, I asked my husband to drive me there. I thought that it was not very far from my home. We could get to the hospital quickly. Because I had worked in the ER as a Chaplin and a patient rep. I should have known that it can be a long wait if you don't arrive by ambulance. I did not expect special treatment, but I was hoping I would be seen immediately. I worked at this hospital as a Chaplin and patient rep, but apparently, I got no special treatment. So we waited, my head pounding and my husband complaining to me that he was tired. He knew he had to go to work the next day at 6 AM. It was now one in the morning.  Because of my position at the hospital, I sat quietly and didn't make any waves.  Although I was learning why the many people I saw as a Chaplin were miserable.  Not only were those patients sick and worried. But they must have felt overlooked by the hospital staff. I know that was how I was feeling that night. Silent, scared, confused, and unaware that my brain was slowly dying. 
.And going through rehabilitation. But what I remember the most was my determination to get better. I spent 60 days away from home between my hospital stay and time at the rehabilitation center. I wondered if I might never see my home again. But mother's day weekend, I was released For the day. As  I returned home and walked into my house, I noticed that my Christmas tree was still up in the living room. What a wonderful greeting it gave me. I could not have asked for a more joyous homecoming. My husband was there, and my Little dog and my Christmas tree somehow reminded me that the spirit of God was with me.
The following days were hard. Becoming adjusted to my new routine. I needed to transition from having everything done for me at the hospital to function on my own. My husband would have to work every day to pay the bills. We had our concerns, would I be able to dress? Would I be able to shower myself? Would I be able to feed myself? What would I  do alone all day? It was the beginning of my new adventure. And I had no idea how it would work out. In those early days, having just finished working with the physical therapists, I was full of confidence. But then the crash happened. I was attempting to, or should I say, show off by trying to go up the back steps without a Railing when I lost my footing and fell. I landed face down on the patio and ended up with a broken nose. With that fractured nose, my confidence shattered.
I was hesitant to even attempt to do anything on my own. Yet somehow, three months later, I began working on my doctorate in Pastoral counseling. I remember clearly the first day in class. I asked that I be provided with a wheelchair. I was still terrified of being alone in a strange place. I was afraid that I would fall and get hurt and worried that  I did not have the strength to walk on my two legs all day. I wanted the safety and the security of being in a wheelchair. I knew I could not fall sitting in my wheelchair. So that first day in class, I used one of the hospital's wheelchairs. That was a long time ago. It is now a little over two years later. I Continue to go to that same building several times a week. But after that first day never sat in a wheelchair again. I made a choice to walk, and I have been walking ever since.
     Now each day, I walk around my house, in the store, and I receive my clients at the Pastoral care offices and Lead them back from the waiting room to the counseling office.
 I can remember a song Whose words go something like this," The road is long with many a winding turn that Leads  me to who knows where?" That's how I felt. I was on this long road winding around and around, and I was not sure where I would end up. I just knew I had to keep traveling because I was not where I felt I should be. I did not know where I was going or how to get there; I just knew I needed to go forward. My damaged brain and my body needed to begin the process of healing. And with God's help, my incredible journey begins. I'd like to hear about your fantastic journey post Your comments on this page. How have you been guided on your fantastic journey? What has your journey been like?

1 comment:

Betty Wilson said...

Susan,I like the way you tell your story open ended for we do have to keep pressing toward the goal-our calling from God to whatever task. I have written about my experience and would like you to read it (in your spare time).
God does know how to get His point across to some of us hard heads. I am especially glad He crossed our paths during part of our journeys. Keep writing and please don't give up your visual arts. They will be a blessing to you and to many others who are walking across the battlefield. I will send you a copy of my account by e-mail. In HIs Love Betty Wilson

Persistence

"Our praying needs to be pressed and pursued with an energy that never tires, a persistency which will not be denied, and a courage tha...