Tuesday, February 8, 2011

E-mail from a friend

Someone sent me this email today and I thought I would pass it on .  I have never met Susan Bernard I have never spoken with 

s and Family,
I stumbled on these lessons from my grad. school research in occupational therapy.  Susan Bernard is a stroke survivor from New Jersey who compiled this list of "20 things my stroke taught me".  I found many of her thoughts pertinent and helpful.
1. I know now that if I'm alive enough to complain, I have nothing to complain about.
2. Whenever I ask, "How long is recovery going to take?" I just say, "Shut up, Susan!"  I'm recovering, why be impatient?  There was a time when I didn't know if I'd ever get better.
3. When I find myself praying for the characters in the soap operas, I know I've been isolating too much.  It's time to get out into the real world more.
4. Complaining or worrying about things like traffic, hold times on the phone or bad weather are luxuries compared to being obsessed with mobility.
5.  It is a privilege to purchase a new walking cane when it means not spending my life in a wheelchair.
6. When I'm aggravated about my son Kyle's (age 6) noise, messiness or intrusion on my time, I could be rejoicing that we are together.  While in rehab, I would have given anything just to wipe his poop or vomit or pick up his toys.
7. I am perfectly imperfect just as I am.  I was kept alive for a good reason, and wasting my time on over-concern for my condition is self-centered.
8. Prayers move mountains.  I'm shoveling as much dirt as possible, but God is moving the mountain.  I am not getting better alone.
9. Healing takes time. For two-and-a-half years after my stroke, my left arm and hand had no function, then I re-learned how to tie my shoe with both hands!  Now I'm president fo the walking club at church.
10. Facing my  mortality has completely changed the way I look at life: Every birthday is a gift.  Having almost perished, advancing years don't look so bad.
11. Showering independently is a celebration, not an ordinary event.  There was a time when a complete stranger, who became near and dear to me, came to my home to bathe me.
12. There are angels among us.  Strangers have been most helpful, ecspecially when I'm not too shy to ask.
13. A sense of humor is critical to existence and recovery.  Lightheartedness is far better than giving in to depression.
14. An attitude of gratitude prevades my life now.  I am thankful for small things: a sturdy handrail, less stiffness after a movie, using public restrooms by myself.  Small improvements are big to me.  Life is wonderful when viewed with intense gratitude.
15. I have learned that others can live without my help for a time.  The world did not stop revolving when I was absent for a while.
16. What really matters is on the inside of a person, not the costume of a body they wear.  My attitude, personality, spiritual nature, sense of self and purpose in life never can be taken away from me.
17. Recovery comes like waves to the seashore.  Sometimes there's an undertow and somtimes it's quiet, serene, and peaceful.
18. Slowing down has allowed me to smell the roses.  Small steps are big.  Sometimes just getting out the back door is a big event.
19. Others suffer illnesses and hardships graver than mine.  I was chosen for this, and this was chosen for me, so I could learn the lessons I needed in my lifetime.
20. "If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why, oh why, can't I?  Well I can and I will no matter what. 
--Have a fantastic week,
Jonathan
An optimist is the human personification of spring.  ~Susan J. Bissonette

No comments:

Persistence

"Our praying needs to be pressed and pursued with an energy that never tires, a persistency which will not be denied, and a courage tha...